The 8 Best Autism-Friendly Pediatricians near Redwood City, CA 94061
Frequently Asked Questions
Your pediatrician might be able to administer screenings, but most general doctors are not trained to formally diagnose autism. They might refer you to a qualified diagnostic clinician which include:
- Developmental Pediatricians
- Child Psychologists
- Child Psychiatrists
- Pediatric Neurologists
- Pediatric Neuropsychologists
Your experience might look different depending on the type of clinician you choose. Many families prefer working with developmental pediatricians. Others might work with a psychiatrist or another specialist to get a different perspective.
A formal ASD diagnosis, or a medical diagnosis, helps you get the support your family needs, especially within the context of accessing medically necessary therapies and services.
- Insurance Coverage for Therapies: Medically necessary therapies for ASD are often covered by insurance including, but not limited to, speech therapy, ABA therapy, and occupational therapy.
- Financial Support: A diagnosis is required when applying for social security or disability benefits.
- Plan for Care: A diagnosis helps identify your child’s support needs. For example, your child might need to develop social communication and self-regulation skills.
- Future Research: The more data we gather through evaluations, the more we can improve services for autistic children and adults.
Check out Autism Diagnosis: The Complete Guide for Parents for more information.
There are a few different types of assessment tools you should know about. It usually starts with an autism screener. The actual autism assessment will include a developmental or intelligence measure, an adaptive measure, autism-specific questionnaires, the developmental interview, and the autism-specific assessment. Learn more about the autism assessment tools here.
Yes, but there is room for improvement. We don’t have a single, perfect diagnostic tool for autism and there are a lot of factors that contribute to an accurate diagnosis. There are a few “gold standards” that are used for diagnosis.