1 Best Art Therapists near Berkeley, CA 94702
2617 Alta Arden Expressway Suite A, Sacramento (69.9 mi)
Ages Served: No info provided
- Care Settings:
Frequently Asked Questions
Art Therapy is an integrative mental health profession that helps children to communicate in a way that’s natural to them. Art and play are already part of the work we do with children as well as their language and development.
Art therapy uses art materials (paint, markers, clay, and more), a person’s creative process, as well as the resulting art product to explore and express emotions, thoughts, and feelings in a safe and healthy way.
An art therapist must deliver or facilitate art therapy. It is within the relational dynamic that healing work can be done.
Many autistic children struggle to communicate with words but have the amazing ability to think visually! This can make art therapy a great option for autistic children. Some of the benefits of art therapy for autistic kids:
- Improved communication skills: Art therapy provides a way for autistic children to express themselves without words. As they become more comfortable expressing themselves through art, this can lead to improved communication skills.
- Reduced anxiety and stress: Children with autism often experience anxiety and stress around communication and social interactions. Art therapy can help reduce those feelings by providing a calming and healthy outlet.
- Increased self-esteem: Creating art can be a confidence booster for autistic children. Seeing their own creations come to life can lead to higher self-esteem and a greater sense of self-worth.
- Improved social skills: Art therapy is a great way for children with autism to practice their social skills. Group sessions allow children
Art therapy can be a great option for many different kids working to reach many different goals. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you decide whether art therapy is right for your child.
- Does my child have difficulty expressing themselves with words? Art therapy allows children to communicate their thoughts and feelings without using words.
- Does my child struggle with social interactions? Art therapy can help improve social skills and reduce anxiety in social situations.
- Does my child have sensory sensitivities? Art therapy can be adapted to meet the sensory needs of children with autism.
- Does my child enjoy art? Art therapy is an excellent option for any child that enjoys art and creative activities. Art Therapy does not require your child to be an artist. They only need an appreciation for imagination, creativity, and a more dynamic way of viewing themself.